A clean and hygienic environment ensures better health and well-being. From carpets and floorings to curtains and ceilings, we invest in multiple services to keep our surroundings clean. However, there are some hard-to-reach areas and unseen hazards that still pose a threat to our health. One of those hazards is asbestos.
When asbestos-containing material is disturbed, the fibers release into the air, which causes chronic respiratory diseases. Thus, it is highly recommended to inspect your property for asbestos presence.
If your Auckland home is built before the 1990s, then there are high chances of asbestos. It may be hiding in plain sight but unfortunately, it is not visible from naked eyes. Asbestos is mixed with other materials that make it hard to recognize.
How to Identify Asbestos Presence?
Approximately, more than 3000 building materials used before the ’90s contained asbestos. Common areas affected by asbestos are roof sheetings, ceilings, claddings, fences, gypsum boards, and more. However, only professional asbestos removal in Auckland can confirm the presence. So, it’s wise to hire a licensed expert who can detect the presence of this harmful substance.
These experts come with all the necessary tools and safety equipment. They inspect the property, take the sample, and test it in the laboratory for confirmation. The need for an expert is also important because asbestos causes problems only when disturbed.
What After the Asbestos Presence?
Reports may take time as the testing goes through multiple stages. Until then, you can follow preventative measures to minimize the risk. Here are some effective methods for reducing asbestos exposure:
- Do Not Disturb: Asbestos is like ‘leave me alone.’ If the asbestos is present on a well-maintained surface, the best option is to leave it as it is. Keep the activity minimum in the area and if possible, bring it down to zero.
- Keep it Wet: If it’s not possible to avoid the asbestos affected area, keep it wet. The wet surface will not allow asbestos to release fibers into the air and thus reduce the risk.
- Say No to Renovation: If you have any renovation plans, stop them immediately. Drilling, chopping, cutting disturbs the asbestos fibers and you may inhale these harmful substances, resulting in respiratory diseases.
- Seal The Area: Even your furry friends can develop diseases due to asbestos exposure. So, seal the garage, storeroom, or other separate areas to avoid your dogs and kitties being the victim of asbestos.
How To Safely Remove Asbestos?
If the reports confirm the presence, then reach out to professional removalists for safe removal and disposal. There are many top companies for safe asbestos removal in Auckland that thoroughly clean and make your property asbestos-free. However, you should keep certain specifications in mind while hiring.
- Licensed Removalists: Asbestos is a harmful chemical and thus those dealing with it should be licensed and experienced. Do your research and find the professional removalists having good ratings in your area.
- Advanced Documentation: Before finalizing the deal, ask the contractor for documentation stating every job that will be performed. It works both ways, ensuring the safety of the workers and your property.
- Safe Disposal: Your contractor should have council permissions for the safe disposal of the asbestos. They should have the necessary tools, safety equipment, and transportation to carry the asbestos waste without harming the environment.
- Air Quality Testing: Mostly missed out, it is one of the most factors after removing asbestos. Air quality testing ensures zero asbestos presence and a clean, hygienic, and healthy place.
So, if you are suspicious about asbestos presence, then get it removed today!